Saturday, April 20, 2013

Product Swap #4

MrsStanfordsClass

I believe this is the fourth product swap, and each time has been a very different experience for me! This time I was paired with Kristy from 2 Peas and a Dog. She is an 8th grade teacher and was very helpful to work with.

2PeasAndADog Blog

When I began to browse her store, I saw that she had a variety of book reports for different genres. Since I'm not a regular classroom teacher, I don't actually assign book reports. However, I saw potential for using the realistic fiction reading assignment in class with my kids. Here's a thumbnail of the item.

Realistic Fiction Reading Assignment Book Report

Now, let me note that this was created for middle school. Since I have grades 3-5, I did not use this assignment the way it was intended. We did the activity as a class with a picture book, and we did not write a paper, at least not yet. I will say that using the format, I believe even my third graders could come up with 4 basic paragraphs. Honestly, we just didn't have time to do all of that with testing coming up.


Here's the book we used. So sweet!

Reading the book with my adorable 3rd graders - I don't know what my face is about. It was actually a very pleasant day!

The assignment focuses on 4 R's: Retell, Relate, Reflect, and Review. Kristy directed me to a freebie that is related to this packet found here. I used a graphic organizer in this packet to help students organize their writing. In the first packet Kristy sent me, there were instructions on how to guide students through each section. After we read the book, students began to fill out their graphic organizers. They were able to do this with very little instruction from me past the quick explanation once they began each section.

Working diligently! 

We need to work on handwriting and spelling, but I think he did a great job with the 4 R's!
Another sample: Why DOESN'T the old woman name her purse and clothes? For the record, he decided she should name the purse "Lorraine". How funny! Oh, and Rex is the cat he kept feeding.

I loved how this assignment covered four very important areas for reading, and I feel like this is something you could use for multiple genres. Plus the kids enjoyed it! They were very excited about sharing their reflections and connections.

Alright, go check out Kristy's blog, and then follow the linky party to see what products other people are reviewing! I can't wait to find some more new treasures!

2 comments:

  1. I just downloaded this graphic organizer! Very useful! I'm also your newest follower...I also teach third grade, and can't wait to use the awesome ideas you share here!

    Samantha
    Riveted Little Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so great! I love that book - it makes me cry! So sad that all her friends have died... love the ending! I think I need to go get this right now! Thanks for the great review!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete