Saturday, August 24, 2013

Five for Fraturday - Back to School


It's time to link up again, and as promised I have a few things that have to do with school since I had my first two workdays back. Without further ado, here goes! (And as always, feel free to steal my cute numbers if you want)

Keagan went back to the sitter on Monday, which was hard for both of us (probably Steven, too). Actually, Monday was fine for him. But by Tuesday, he understood that this wasn't just a play date with his friends. When I pulled up to get him, he was standing at the window and went into hysterics! Broke my heart...fortunately his papaw had something to cheer him up!

He LOVES this activity board, and now we don't have to deal with him wanting to turn all the other light switches on and off.

We started attending a new small group Monday night (we recently switched churches). It was weird because we're still close to the members of our old life group, but we didn't want to be split between two churches. This group is about twice the size, so it was a little overwhelming at first (especially since we really didn't know anybody), but everyone was really nice. It will just take some time to adjust.


I just finished two books this week (figured I needed to end my summer reading with a bang since I won't have as much time now). The first book was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Not my absolute favorite, but it wasn't a bad read. Now I can cross it off my list and sell it at the next yard sale. Immediately after, I started the Divergent series.


Oh. My. Word. If you haven't read this yet (especially if you teach upper grades and/or liked The Hunger Games), you need to! I finished it in two days only because I was working and had to go to sleep earlier (and I try not to read while Keagan's awake). It's similar to Hunger Games, but they don't throw kids into an arena to fight to the death. There are 5 factions of people, and you choose your faction at 16. Of course, their version of the perfect world is starting to crumble, and the main character, Tris, has to learn how to survive! I finished Book 1 last night and can't wait to start Insurgent. Good thing it's the weekend!

On Thursday, we officially went back to work, and I'm starting to make a lot of progress. Everything now has a home (although I had to make stacks of books so I could take my two furniture pieces home and finally paint them), and I have begun the decorating process...barely. I made my school purchase order, and now I'm checking my emails constantly to see when they ship!



Finally, I want to give you a sneak peak of what I'm working on for my next TPT product. I'm SO excited! Instead of coming right out and telling you, I'll just let you know it has to do with these guys that I purchased during the TPT sale at the beginning of the week! Hopefully I will finish it by the end of next week, and I'm thinking of doing a quick flash sale right after they post.


Now it's time to get to work painting that furniture, which means I may actually be linking up for Monday Made-it for the first time this summer!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the Divergent series! The third book should be out this fall AND the movie is coming out soon too! Can't wait! I love the Duck Dynasty clip art. I bought the set during the big sale. Can't wait to see what you create!

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clipart is cracking me up! I cannot wait to see what you make! I am almost done with Insurgent. I think you will really like it! Hopefully I finish today!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Divergent series. I can't wait for the third book to come out this fall. If you liked that book you might enjoy the Matched Trilogy. Have you read that one yet?

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that activity board! I want to play with it too! You've sold me on the Divergent series now. I'm going to try it. I figure I can take an A.R. test on it and beat my kiddos. Bethany suggested the Matched trilogy...I have that too and haven't read it yet. I need to get with it.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your room is so cute! It makes me miss my room! I'm sure lots of great reading will be done in that room! Also, that is probably one of the most amazing activity boards I have seen! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love the Divergent series!! They are as good as The Hunger Games. The 3rd one comes out on October 22 and I can't wait.
    Mrs. Tretbar’s Library

    ReplyDelete