Friday, September 13, 2013

Five for Friday


I skipped Five for Friday last week because my first few weeks back at school are pretty boring in comparison to everyone else. Since I am Title I, students have to send back forms to receive services, and then I can start pulling students. Monday will be my first day to pull groups, and I can't wait!

Tuesday night was our Back to School night, so I was at school for a little over 12 hours (well, with the exception of a yogurt run before dinner with my preggo friend who was craving something sweet). The sad thing about Back to School night for me is that nobody really comes to see me anymore. I mean, I was able to get some work done and all, but the parents are there to meet with the classroom teachers. I get a little bored.

Fortunately (maybe) I had work to do because I had received a question from one of my TPT buyers that she could not open my flipcharts for Science because she doesn't have a Promethean board. Was I wrong to assume that the section "Smartboard Lessons and Whiteboard Activities" was for Promethean as well? Please let me know if you think so because I will remove that. Anyway, I ended up spending THREE HOURS copying and pasting all 7 science units that I no longer teacher into PowerPoint so she could use them. Let's just say that I'm not a huge fan of science and seriously considered just taking them off of TPT completely.
I've been pushing into all of the fourth grade classes already because there are SEVENTEEN kids in that grade who did not pass their Reading SOL last year. Part of this is because it was a new test and written much more difficult, but I have 2-5 students that I will be seeing in EACH class. This week, we were focusing on Context Clues, so I pulled out this book:


I wanted to do a lot of practice with the students, so I had them come to the carpet. As we came to a word that was unfamiliar or used in an unusual way, I read the text and then had them turn to a partner to discuss what it might mean. They had to talk about what clues in the pictures or text helped them understand. Then we discussed it as a group, and I made sure to repeat the word and definition a few times. It was a really good lesson! 

I've been preparing for next week, and my other two grades will be working on Character. For fifth grade, I really wanted to dig deep and challenge them. I looked on TPT and found some good resources, but nothing was quite what I wanted (or it was too much to work with in one case). So I decided to create my own resource! And why not use my Duck Dynasty clipart that I'm loving?

TPT (finally up!) or TN

I'm also trying to choose my vocabulary words for the first week with students. I found this list of Character Traits from Read*Write*Think, and then I sat with my para to decide which words the students already knew well (dangerous, bad, nice) or could figure out with ease (brainy, messy). Then I started thinking about which words students would see most frequently and need the most. I think for fifth grade, we're going to focus on considerate, eager, and strict. When I choose books for examples, I will try to find some that show these traits. I'm thinking Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse. Any other suggestions?

I'm loving my new design that Megan did for me this week! I chose the Modern and Fresh Build your Blog pack from A Bird in Hand Designs (very affordable), and I also got matching papers to use for giveaways, etc. Well, I have been thinking about starting a linky for teachers who are trying to lose weight/stay healthy. I made this button and will be starting the linky next Thursday. 


This will be a monthly link-up (the THIRD THURSDAY) with a different topic each month. Next week will be all about eating healthy. Spread the word, prepare your post, and I hope to see a lot of people link up! It will be neat to build a support group for each other!

9 comments:

  1. Love your new design. Your new link up sounds great, I'll be there as long as I remember! :)
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog through the link :). So happy because I am your newest follower. I love the title of your blog and the design is so cute. I can't wait to read more post. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea for your Linky. Can't wait to link up!

    Erika
    My Crazy Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick question - What is a title I school?
    Erin
    The E-Z Class

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your title hooked me! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new blog design! It is so bright and fun! We are whole school Title I, so I can work with any student at any time, no forms needed! I agree that Back to School day (for us) can get boring, but I do get a lot of work done! I was able to really start working with groups this week, which has been fun! Next week is full, and I am ready!

    Have a fun first week with kids!
    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am starting characters with my 5th graders this week, too! :)

    Lauren
    The Sweetest Thing
    Follow me on Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna join the fit teacher linky! Boy I hope I remember.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete