Friday, November 7, 2014

Five for Friday: November 7

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Like I've said before, last month was a whirlwind, and I almost never got on here to post. I'm trying to be better this month, and these weekly linkies are perfect for keeping me on schedule.

Divider 1


This was our little guy's 3rd Halloween and definitely the most fun! He's obsessed with Ghostbusters, so we worked hard to get his costume as close to the real thing as possible. I was a little bummed because I actually ordered a flight suit from ebay, but it ended up being too small. His daddy made the proton pack, and Keagan has had a blast with it! I've been having fun eating all of his candy...

Divider 2

This week was a little crazy because we had Parent/Teacher conferences on Tuesday. The nice thing about ours is that we don't have to come in until noon, but then we stay until 7 so parents have a better chance at catching us. I was able to get all of my plans done for the month, so I was thrilled! It didn't even bother me that I got home well after dark.

Divider 3

Magic Tree House - Thanksgiving on Thursday literature unit

I was ready to take a break from interactive notebooks with my 3rd graders, so we are spending the month reading Thanksgiving on Thursday. I have the questions set in my store, and the students are able to work through it with me slowly. It will also give me a better idea at how well they are understanding stories holistically.

Divider 4



Fourth grade has been working on text features. I'll be honest: I'm not a huge fan of teaching them because there really aren't many creative ways to review it. You just have to practice finding them and using them. I created this simple scavenger hunt page and brought in some nonfiction books on hurricanes and tornadoes, and I think the kids enjoyed it.

Divider 5

With fifth grade, we used the story Knots on a Counting Rope to discuss context clues and make inferences. I'm a little bummed that I didn't search earlier because I just learned that I could have had MR. FEENY read it instead. How cool would that have been? Here's the Storyline Online video (or the link if it doesn't work) for your enjoyment, though!


How was your week?

2 comments:

  1. Love Magic Tree House books! My foster girls are too old for me to sneak their candy because they know exactly what they have left! So that meant I bought for Josh and me today! :) Have a great weekend!

    Blessings,
    Sarah
    smbhankinson@gmail.com
    Learning is for Superstars
    follow on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name of your blog cracks me up :) If I were to follow suit I would have to name mine, Don't Let the Teacher Get Up Too Early! WHAT am I doing up at 4 am on a Saturday?? Nice finding you. See you around. Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete